Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

The Queen

The Queen (2006)
Director: Stephen Frears

Nothing looses me faster than a boring movie, and this movie lost me fast.

I saw this movie in the theater; everyone else in the theater was over 60 years old. I guess that should have told me something right there, but I heard it was an excellent film so I sat down. If you are at all interested in the queen or the royal family then this is the film for you. If you are not interested in those things, you will probably be bored out of your mind. I was.

I try not to bring my ideas about a films subject matter to the theater; I try to watch movies of all kinds with an open mind and try to judge them on their own merits, but I just couldn’t have cared less about anything in the world (I think that stems from my intense boredom with all things political). The movie figured "Well she is The Queen. Everyone’s interested in the Queen right?" Wrong.

This is the story of the death of Princess Diana and how it affected the queen and the royal family.

Helen Mirren was amazing I have to say; she totally owned that role. But I just don’t care enough about the queen for this movie to be really interesting. It didn’t seem like the director or writer did enough to make her a sympathetic character. She seemed cold, aloof and downright nasty sometimes. I think people from the UK will find this movie enlightening as it explains why (or "a possible reason why" since it is fiction) the queen behaved the way she did after Diana’s death, but it certainly isn’t an "edge-of-your-seat" thriller. I think it has to go on my "Top 5 most boring films ever" list.

My rating: 2 out of 5

0 comments:

 
Evan E. Richards Film Blog